Monday, January 26, 2009

Blogging In The Classroom

I really have mixed feelings on whether blogs in the classroom are a good idea or not. Obviously, they help students to practice their writing and can express their opinions in a online place, but one of the downfalls I foresee is that the students won't really care about it. At UT many teachers have utilized the discussion board application on Blackboard, where students can make entries and comment on each others and basically have a online discussion. Sounds like a great idea, right? But in my experience it is a waste of time. Blogs and other online discussion tools are only useful if they are taken seriously, like other graded assignments. It's hard to get kids to take online posts seriously because they simply cannot be graded like other writing assignments because they are informal by nature. So, the only thing a teacher can really grade on is whether the students have done it or not and most if not all students will probably just type out a couple of lines that they didn't put any thought to. Therefore it wastes the students time and the teachers by having to grade them.

1 comment:

  1. Andrea,
    You make interesting comments about blogs and discussion boards. I really appreciate your candid and honest assessment based on your experiences.

    I have been involved with many discussion boards in both online courses and face-to-face courses at UT and other universities, both as a student and an instructor. I have to say that "most" of my experiences have been really positive. However, I have observed what you are saying as well. So it is definitely something to be aware of and hopefully we can discuss the dilemma more in class.

    ReplyDelete